Thursday, January 25, 2007

Earth Wind & Fire and Kids

Remember that song by EWF, That's the Way of the World? Well my favorite verse in that song was "child is born with a heart of gold." Being around my two kids (5 and 7) and their friends and classmates always reminds me of that verse because when I look at kids, especially when they are born, I truly believe that every child is born with a heart of gold and unfortunately the bad apples that show up have been somehow socialized that way. Now I understand that genetics plays a part in their physical attributes, including their brain in some way, but I believe that the children are taught to hate and disparage others and that the huge influences are their parents. I'm far from a perfect father but I try every day to show my boys how to embrace others and to avoid the hate and show love to all living things.

Before I became a parent, I admit that I had a hard time understanding the unconditional love that parents showed to their disabled children. I now understand that whether they have a physical deformity or have suffered an accident or have been afflicted with an unfortunate disease, e.g. Down's Syndrome, there is no limit to the love that they can bestow on you and the love that you can give them.

No comments: